The Desmond T. Doss Health Clinic has a proud history spanning 85 of the 101 years that Schofield Barracks has been in existence. Construction began in 1922 on the first permanent Station Hospital. Buildings 678, 680 and 681 were completed in 1922, but not occupied.
Construction was resumed in 1926 to complete the 500 bed-capacity Station Hospital.
Construction was completed in 1928, and the hospital became operational as the largest military medical facility on Oahu.
In 1939, additional capacity was added with construction of buildings 672 and 673. At the onset of war in the Pacific, the Station Hospital cared for patients from the December 7, 1941 attack on Oahu, and subsequent island invasions in the South Pacific.
Because of the Station Hospital's isolation from port facilities, by 1943 most combat casualties went to expanded hospital facilities in Honolulu. When Tripler General Hospital opened in 1944, the Station Hospital was reassigned as Dispensary #1, Schofield Barracks, and inpatient care was discontinued. Then, with the outbreak of hostilities in Korea, increased bed demand led to the reopening of a 100-bed convalescent ward and redesignation of the facility as Schofield Annex, Tripler Army Hospital, Ward 50. Inpatient services closed in 1952 and outpatient services continued. In 1954 Ward 50 was again reorganized with a 50-bed capacity, but this time under the control of the Post Commander.
In 1965, all inpatient beds closed and US Army Medical Services Activity, Hawaii, a separate command, was organized. Then in 1969, the USAMSA-H was subordinated to the Tripler Army Hospital Department of Clinics and re-designated again in 1972 as US Army Health Clinic, Schofield Barracks, the Clinic regained Command status. From 1975 to 1978 the Clinic was again integrated into the Tripler Army Hospital Department of Clinics, and in 1978 it was designated a separate command under Tripler Army Medical Center. This organization continued until 1985, when the Clinic was placed under the Tripler AMC Department of Primary Care and Community Medicine.
Most recently reorganized in 1993, the present organization as a free-standing semi-autonomous ambulatory care Military Treatment Facility has provided installation-level medical support services to the 25th ID and its leadership, to the US Army Garrison, Hawaii and other military sites in central Oahu, and supervision of the dispensary at Pohakuloa Training Area (PTA) on the island of Hawaii. As recently as 1998, it was the largest free-standing ambulatory care facility in the Department of Defense, but has since lost that distinction due to downsizing of other military hospitals to ambulatory care facilities.
In 2011, C Company, Troop Command, Tripler Army Medical Center was re designated as Medical Company USAHC-SB, providing unity of command for all assigned military and civilian staff. In 2012, the USAHC-SB was officially added to the Command Select List and in 2015 USHAC-SB was organized as a direct reporting unit to Regional Health Command- Pacific.
Today USAHC-SB provides installation level medical support to over 34,000 Soldiers, Family Members and Retirees from the 25th Infantry Division, 8th Theater Support Command, U.S. Army Garrison - Hawaii, and tenant units. It remains one of the largest free-standing ambulatory care facilities in the Department of Defense with over 300,000 square feet across its 26 buildings and a staff of almost 600 military and civilian personnel.
In April 2019, DDHC’s first building (Bldg YY) turned 100 years old. This pivotal moment in history also allotted for a name change. During the celebration of 100 years of service, the US Army Health Clinic – Schofield Barracks changed its name to the Desmond T. Doss Health Clinic, in honor of Medal of Honor Recipient, Desmond T. Doss. On May 5, 1945, Desmond Doss, a combat medic and a conscientious objector, rescued 75 men from Hacksaw Ridge in World War II. Doss was the first and only conscientious objector to receive the Medal of Honor during World War II. The Desmond T. Doss Health Clinic proudly serves beneficiaries in honor of Doss’s heroic events that day. Your health will always be our mission.
Today the clinic has 10 patient service lines with 40 health clinics and 12 administrative areas support over 865,000 medical encounters per year. USAHC-SB clinics include: 5 Patient Centered Medical Homes (Family Medicine, Pediatrics, and Women’s Health), 5 Soldier Centered Medical Homes, 10 Behavioral Health Clinics, an Acute Care Clinic, 6 Sports Medicine and Musculoskeletal Clinics (Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Chiropractic, Orthopedics, Podiatry, and Integrated Pain Management Clinic), 3 Allied Health Clinics (Optometry, Audiology, Nutrition care), 4 Ancillary Services (Pharmacy, Radiology, Laboratory, and Immunization Clinics), Brain Injury Clinic, Warrior Transition Clinic, 2 Public Health Clinics (Occupational Medicine, Army Public Health Nursing), Soldier Readiness Processing Site, and an Army Wellness Center. Our logistics, resource management, human resources, patient administration, managed care, facility management, information management division, patient advocate, public affairs, SHARP, Safety, and EO teams ensure quality care is delivered in a timely manner for those we serve.